Mar 20, 2007

IDFLI syndrome

I Don't Feel Like It syndrome.

It's a hard one to get over, especially when you are constantly allowing feelings to be your spiritual guide. Certainly there are "emotions" that come with being a Christian (joy of our salvation, love for our Savior, sorrow over our sin) but let's not forget that everyday we are battling our flesh. And everyday we have to fight to believe God's Truths and not let our "feelings" be our deciding factor.

I don't always "feel" like being nice. And I certainly do not always "feel" like praying, or reading my bible, or fellowshipping with my brothers and sisters, or being submissive to my husband. But that doesn't matter, does it? I cannot solely base everything on each emotion I feel.

I believe godly emotions are a gift. We read scripture. We ask God to reveal to us His Truth. When we face temptations, the Holy Spirit reminds us of what God's Truth is. If I don't "feel" like obeying His Word in that moment, does that give me license to sin? If I don't "feel" like fighting off my temptation, should I just sin?

Of course not. With time, however, I do believe that as we grow with Christ, His "emotions" will manifest themselves in our hearts. We will start to "feel" like going to church and "feel" like fighting off sin. We will love scripture and love prayer. And even though we will still fight off those sinful emotions to disobey, His Spirit will always be victorious! I do not mean that we will not sin, but that even if we do, His Spirit will convict us and cause us to repent. And that is a victory!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey... I just got a break in my studies here and was looking around the net...

Still in Israel. I wasn't sure if I ever thanked you for stopping by and leaving a comment, but I appreciate it. And, wow, your blog makes mine look childish... incredible work and incredible study. I'll try to add you to my blogroll later.

I wish I had the time to read more of your posts (I'll certainly try to find it). Keep up the great work!

--A Brother

Samantha said...

I think your blog is quite impressive. At least, I was impressed.

Thank you for the encouragement! I very much wish I was in Israel! What a blessing.

Splinters of Silver said...

I love the title and the thoughts. So much I linked it on my blog under "Reading Laced With Silver". I hope you don't mind. My address is www.splintersofsilver.com.

Tim

Samantha said...

Thank you! I don't mind at all :D

Nate said...

Hi Samantha, Haven't been around in a while, a lot to catch up on. Having been in the churches a long time, I used to share the view of "I will try not to do wrong today." But it didn't fit me, because I am a positive person. So I changed to, "I will try to do right today." This allowed me to see, that with the correct intent in my heart, God will forgive my failings, becuase I am trying to please him. He has already accepted me, and he knows I am flawed, so I don't beat myself up when I don't do right. I just confess and go out to try to do good again tommorrow.

Samantha said...

Hi Nate-

I'm glad to hear from you again.

I say, "Amen" to what you are saying. Instead of swimming in guilt, we, as believers have the promise of justification. And that is a beautiful gift. The greatest progress in our sanctification is to believe we've been forgiven!