Jan 30, 2007

My shortcomings

Last night I had this brilliant idea that I would mash a bunch of banana and olive oil, spread it all over my hair, and do a deep conditioning so that my hair would be shiny and pretty. Well, I don't know if you've ever tried to mix oil, banana and hot water, but it doesn't really like to wash out. I washed my hair almost 10 times and had to sit on the floor with my head tipped over, and brush all of the banana out manually until it was clean. It seriously took about 2 hours. I have very curly, crazy hair. So it was deeply embedded in every part of my hair. There was banana all over the shower, the sink, the bathroom floor, our bedroom floor, 3 towels, all over me and, of course, all over my hair. I was on the verge of tears and yet on the verge of exploding in laughter at my stupidity.

If you know me, this is not uncommon to my everyday life. I'm a huge klutz, and I very often have many "brilliant" ideas that turn into disaster.

A long time ago, these sorts of things use to bother me a lot. I didn't know why I would do such ridiculous things or seemed to be so odd....but today, after experiencing the love of Christ, I sort of marvel at my own short comings. I wonder if God has given them to me to realize how perfect and sufficient He is? And I rejoice at the love I know God has for me, simply because He chose to love me. My klutziness, my odd adventures, my "brilliant" ideas....none of them matter. I don't have to show off for God. He loves me despite. And that love is so magnified in my heart when I realize that I can and will never be able to merit God's love for me. And that friends, is awesome.

7 comments:

Stan said...

Okay, I admit it ... that sounds like a disaster. I am likely too ignorant to understand what would even begin to make it sound like a "brilliant idea". But here's the real question: Is your hair shiny and pretty today? =)

Samantha said...

Yes! Believe it or not it's much curlier and shinier! :D

Stan said...

Well, then, it WAS a brilliant idea. You just have to be willing to do the work required ... and you were!

Samantha said...

You mean I wasn't such a klutz after all? Nifty! :D

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I am laughing out loud when I read of your misadventure, because what woman has not tried one of those wild and crazy beauty treatments???

Fortunately for me, I have not had the free time in too long to get myself into that type of trouble...hee hee!

AMEN to the grace of God! I was just sharing with some brothers and sisters today...the day when God allowed me to see my sins through his eyes and I realized how filty and the stinch that came from me, that there was nothing in me that deserves salvation.

What an awesome God to give us such an amazing gift of love and grace. May He alone be glorified forevermore!

Qtpies7 said...

How funny! I just can't imagine finding time to let something sit in my hair right now, so I'm safe from something like that for now, lol.
I live north of Minneapolis up 169!
God bless,
qtpies7

Samantha said...

Really? I live right off of 169! How funny! I'm in St. Louis Park right by the General Mills building.

:D