Sep 19, 2006

Valley of Vision

This prayer book, Valley of Vision, is amazing. It's a Puritan prayer book, full of beautiful prayers about the Trinity, God's grace & mercy, Jesus' sacrifice, and so much more. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new devotional. Here's just one of the prayers I love:

Morning Dedication
Almighty God,
As I cross the threshold of this day
I commit myself, soul, body, affairs, friends, to thy care;
Watch over, keep, guide, direct, sanctify, bless me.
Incline my heart to thy ways;
Mould me wholly into the image of Jesus, as a potter forms clay;
May my lips be a well-tuned harp to sound thy praise;
Let those around see me living by the Spirit,
trampling the world underfoot,
unconformed to lying vanities,
clad in the entire armour of God,
shining as a never-dimmed light,
showing holiness in all my doings.
Let no evil this day soil my thoughts, words, hands.
May I travel miry paths with a life pure from spot or stain.
In needful transactions let my affection be in heaven,
and my love soar upwards in flames of fire,
my gaze fixed on unseen things,
my eyes open to the emptiness, fragility,
mockery of earth and its vanities.
May I view all things in the mirror of eternity,
waiting from the coming of my Lord,
listening for the last trumpet call,
hastening unto the new heaven and earth.
Order this day all my communications according to thy wisdom,
Forbid that I should not be profited or made profitable.
May I speak each word as if my last word,
and walk each step as my final one.
If my life should end today, let this be my best day.

2 comments:

Stan said...

Thanks for this. I'm always glad to see when you post something new and read it with eagerness. Of course, I can't stay long because you have that counter running and I feel like the longer I'm here, the more people are dying, so I have to run. =)

Samantha said...

LOL. Oh Stan, your funny :D

Ditto with your blog bro. I like those pictures of the birds you took. Very well done. I was going to say something on your post about it, but I didn't want you to get too big of a head. hehehe! :D

If you don't have this prayer book though, you should get it. I LOVE IT. :D