May 4, 2006

Preach the Gospel to all Creation!

On Saturday, my husband and I have decided to go and witness at the zoo.

I am freaking out.

I am normaly a very shy, very quiet, very private person. I hate talking to people I don’t know. So how in the world am I going to be able to go up to someone and start telling them about our Savior?

The Gospel deserves more than I can give. It deserves someone who is bold and well versed, with a clear voice and a beautiful heart.

And that someone is definitely not me.

So I’m sitting here, wondering when exactly I will become that person?

Probably never. Or, at least not by Saturday!

So I’m left with one option: Trust God

Isaiah 51:12 "I, even I, [GOD] am the one who comforts you. So why are you afraid of mere humans, who wither like the grass and disappear?

That is a good question God! Why am I afraid? “If God is for us, who can ever be against us?” –Romans 8:31

Well, here’s the truth. I am still invested in this world. I still look for pleasures that this world brings. I want to be liked, I want to be noticed, I want to be enjoyed and I want to enjoy.

Man, the trouble is, We don't know who we are instead” – Jars of Clay

So who are we suppose to be? How can we be light in a world that is so dark? How can we overcome fear so God gets the glory?

The answer is simple. It’s something I’ve known all along: I have to die.

This death is not physical, although, it can sure feel that way. But, it’s a dying of self. It’s saying, “God, I give you everything I am. Take me, take all of me.” It’s saying, “Lord, I am scared, but I trust You.”

Jesus told us, “I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.” –John 12:24

So in order to grow in Christ, we must die. We must kill the thoughts that make us believe we are still a part of this world. Thoughts that say, “Human acceptance will make me happy.”

And what comes from this death?

An abundence of life!

Life where suffering is sweet. Life that looks beyond this world, and see’s the promise of everlasting joy! Eyes that see Christ in every single person we meet! Ears that hear God’s voice whispering, “I love you.” And touch that conveys love...and a heart that gives hope.

How marvelous it is to die! To be one with Christ! To rejoice in His suffering! To no longer be in bondage to sin, but to be free to live!

Oh Lord, Your wonders never fail to amaze me! Give me strength to endure! Faith to obey! And a heart that rejoices when your truth is revealed!

Oh Lord, if it is your will, please send us hearts that will be receptive to the Good News. Help us plant the seed, so that You might make it grow.

And even if we meet those whose hearts are hardened, let us not be afraid.

Philippians 4:4
Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again--rejoice!



3 comments:

Tracy S said...

You are so right. We must die to self and trust God... It is always when we are so affraid and have to lean totally on God that we get the most spiritual growth.. Great post..

I have one question though? I am just curious ...why the zoo? Is it something you and your husband decided to do or is the church doing an outreach or something? Just curious.

Have a blessed week :)

Samantha said...

We actually just wanted to go to the zoo for fun and decided it would be a great place to witness.

Plus, we got these cool gospel tracts that have a picture of a gorilla on the front and it says,

"Something to think about"

and on the back it explains the law, why we need Christ, and how to become a new creation.

However, we didn't get to go :(

I'll blog all about it!

Thanks for your comments :D

Sonya Triggs-Wharton said...

I love your honesty in admitting your fear about witnessing. It's amazing that we can know God so well, yet still be so afraid to proclaim His word. We can talk about sports, Sex in the City, movies and the like, but Heaven forbid we should have a real conversation about Jesus! Oh, Lord, you can almost hear them thinking - hear comes a Holy Roller!

After high school,my dream was to grow up to be cool and well-liked (something that completely escaped me in high school - can you say complete nerd?). And, to maintain this coolness, I was willing to sacrifice my beliefs, my identity and my morals. Whatever it took, I was going to do!

After doing all the above things, I finally decided for myself it just wasn't worth it. That it was more important to serve the God I knew than the people I was only hoping to impress.

I can't wait to read about what happened since you guys didn't make it to the zoo. I know that God will bless you as you continue to try to spread His word!